Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Synchronize database
Synchronize database [message #188941] Tue, 22 August 2006 08:55 Go to next message
catpurr
I did a small database (200M) migration from 8i to 9i, a few weeks ago. However, management decided to delay switch 9i to production then. So users still worked on 8i database (basically modify data, not much schema change). Now the management decides to bring 9i to production. In this case, what the best way to synchronize database? It won't be too much changes in the database, but how can I found what changed (compare 2 database)?
Re: Synchronize database [message #188943 is a reply to message #188941] Tue, 22 August 2006 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You have to do more work just to "synchronize" things here.
A simplest approach would be just exporting and importing before you actually switch to production mode.
Re: Synchronize database [message #188946 is a reply to message #188943] Tue, 22 August 2006 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
catpurr
Thanks! I have thought about the export/import, but how can i double check if the schema changes or not? Before import the data, is any function to truncate everything in the feature production database since old data exists?
Re: Synchronize database [message #188948 is a reply to message #188946] Tue, 22 August 2006 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> Before import the data, is any function to truncate everything in the feature production database since old data exists?
Nothing by default.
Just truncate the tables (if you expect the table structure to be changed, drop the tables in future production) before you import.
As said before, you ***CAN*** track the changes. But too much of work for such a small database. It would be very easy to overwrite everything(export 8i schema, drop the tables in 9i,import into 9i)
Re: Synchronize database [message #188958 is a reply to message #188948] Tue, 22 August 2006 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
catpurr
drop everything in 9i database? how about triggers? dblinks? How about instance? Then, what's the difference with migrate a database using export/import?
Re: Synchronize database [message #188959 is a reply to message #188958] Tue, 22 August 2006 10:21 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I said,
>> drop the tables in future production
Only if the structure is changed.
Else you import will fail.
>>how about triggers? dblinks? How about instance
If they change, drop and import back.
>> what's the difference with migrate a database using export/import?
Nothing. Just a lot easier. This works as long as the data is straightforward ( not special options like TEXT,intermedia etc).
Previous Topic: Perl script and Database Partitioning
Next Topic: Trace Issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:47:18 CDT 2024