Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » difference between normal and 'as sysdba'
difference between normal and 'as sysdba' [message #180905] Wed, 05 July 2006 15:23 Go to next message
macquivr
I created a user myuser
default tablespace 'SYSTEM' <== (this might be my problem)
said 'grant SYSDBA to myuser'

when I say sqplus myuser/mypass
sqlplus> select username from dba_users;
I get '00942: table of view does not exist'
but when I say sqplus myuser/mypass as sysdba
sqlplus> select username from dba_users;
<it works>

This problem extends to tables like DBA_TABLESPACES, blah blah blah, but
I'm sure its all the same problem.

What do I have to do to get sqlplus to see the right stuff without having to connect 'as sysdba'?

- John
Re: difference between normal and 'as sysdba' [message #180906 is a reply to message #180905] Wed, 05 July 2006 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Do NOT cross/multi-post!
Re: difference between normal and 'as sysdba' [message #180907 is a reply to message #180906] Wed, 05 July 2006 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
macquivr
Though sure there is some overlap, I'm assuming the audience is different.

- John
Re: difference between normal and 'as sysdba' [message #180922 is a reply to message #180907] Wed, 05 July 2006 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vamshee
Hi John

Could you please try "grant dba to myuser"
and then issue both
sqlplus myuser/mypass
and
sqlplus myuser/mypass as sysdba

The reason might being that when u grant SYSDBA (instead of DBA), it would give the user "CREATE SESSION" privilige.

Regards
Vamshee.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2006 17:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: difference between normal and 'as sysdba' [message #180982 is a reply to message #180907] Thu, 06 July 2006 02:56 Go to previous message
JSI2001
One of the 'rules' of this (and just about any other it forum) is not to cross post. Most of the people who can answer your question will check through most of the forums for new threads that they can/are willing to answer. To re-iterate, please do not cross post (It's one of the things mentioned in the sticky at the top of the forum)
The difference between 'normal' and 'as sysdba' is a huge one. When you log on as sysdba you are logging on as the sys user not as the 'normal' user:
Try

conn usernameWithSysDbaPrivs/password@db as sysdba

then show user

it will output

SYS

the sys user has far far higher level of priviledges than any other user.

when you log on as your normal user, you don't have the appropriate priviledgs to access the DBA_ tables.

HTH
Jim
Previous Topic: How to copy encrypted data between 2 databases?
Next Topic: max number of extents for individual objects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:28:15 CDT 2024