Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Can a user access a table during the online backup?
Can a user access a table during the online backup? [message #180489] Mon, 03 July 2006 22:04 Go to next message
oracledba_raja
Hi All,
Please clarify my doubts.

Doubt 1)

My database is in Archive log mode.
I am taking online back up ( by giving the command '" Alter tablespace 'users1' begin backup"

Then frm the o/s level, I am taking the backup of the corresponding datafile in the users1 tablespace ..ie, the 'user1datafile.dbf'.

Once it was completed, I gave the command " Alter tablespace users end backup".

Now, my question is, whether the users can access the tables which are in the datafile 'user1datafile.dbf' when the backup is going on?

If the user does any change to few records in a table during the backup session (like update few rows),
what will happen to the datafile?
Will it reflect in the datafile or it will reflect in the 'archive files' which are generated during the on-line backup?

As a part of online backup, I will take backup of the all archive log files generated during the tablespace backup.

During the recovery, will these files be reflect the changes happened during the backup?

Doubt 2)

I have one database named 'pura1' of version 8x my server PURA.
Now my office wants to import one more database frm other server GOVERN into server PURA.
Both server has Win 2000 as o/s and Oracle 8.1.7 as db.

If the /oracle/home/PURA1" is home directory for the db 'PURA1', what will be the home directory for for the new database frm GOVERN?

What are the procedure for importing the new db without affecting the existing one?

How to configure?

Please... let me know...

Thanks,

Raja
Re: Can a user access a table during the online backup? [message #180536 is a reply to message #180489] Tue, 04 July 2006 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
d.dineshkumar
HI Raja,
For ur doubt one.I think i can give some answer.

Yes u r right,
if u r doing an online backup of a tablespace.
The users update will go to the online log files first .

From there u have to switch the log files to move them to archive logs,after u take the tablespace out of backup mode.

I think there is one direct command also to move the online logs to archive logs,without switching.
Sorry I forget the command.

While recovering these archive logs will be used.

Thanks And Regards
Dinesh
Re: Can a user access a table during the online backup? [message #180542 is a reply to message #180489] Tue, 04 July 2006 02:48 Go to previous message
JSI2001
Documentation:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96519/backup.htm#1004914

Jim
Previous Topic: oracle 10g installation problem
Next Topic: To know all the user privileges
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:26:35 CDT 2024