Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » dbms_stats.gather_system_stats
dbms_stats.gather_system_stats [message #179988] Thu, 29 June 2006 10:34 Go to next message
alanm

Hi All,
Can anyone please explain the parameter 'interval'. I have had a look on metalink and not had much success. I am assuming it is a time interval but not sure if it is hours, mins or seconds.
If anyone has a link to documentation, that would be appreciated.

regards

Alan

Re: dbms_stats.gather_system_stats [message #179990 is a reply to message #179988] Thu, 29 June 2006 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96612/d_stats2.htm#1010477
Re: dbms_stats.gather_system_stats [message #179993 is a reply to message #179988] Thu, 29 June 2006 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Quote:

NOWORKLOAD: Will capture characteristics of the I/O system. Gathering may take a few minutes and depends on the size of the database. During this period Oracle will estimate the average read seek time and transfer speed for the I/O system. This mode is suitable for the all workloads. Oracle recommends to run GATHER_SYSTEM_STATS ('noworkload') after creation of the database and tablespaces. To fine tune system statistics for the workload use 'START' and 'STOP' or 'INTERVAL' options. If you gather both 'NOWORKLOAD' and workload specific (statistics collected using 'INTERVAL' or 'START' and 'STOP' ), the workload statistics will be used by optimizer. Collected components: cpuspeednw, ioseektim, iotfrspeed.

INTERVAL: Captures system activity during a specified interval. This works in combination with the interval parameter. You should provide an interval value in minutes, after which system statistics are created or updated in the dictionary or stattab. You can use GATHER_SYSTEM_STATS (gathering_mode=>'STOP') to stop gathering earlier than scheduled. Collected components: maxthr, slavethr, cpuspeed, sreadtim, mreadtim, mbrc.

START | STOP: Captures system activity during specified start and stop times and refreshes the dictionary or stattab with statistics for the elapsed period. Interval value is ignored. Collected components: maxthr, slavethr, cpuspeed, sreadtim, mreadtim, mbrc.

interval
Time, in minutes, to gather statistics. This parameter applies only when gathering_mode='INTERVAL'.

plsql packages and types reference
Re: dbms_stats.gather_system_stats [message #179995 is a reply to message #179988] Thu, 29 June 2006 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Woops, a little slow.
Re: dbms_stats.gather_system_stats [message #180008 is a reply to message #179988] Thu, 29 June 2006 15:37 Go to previous message
alanm

Thanks guys, thats great information. I have only just discovered system stats, and they seem extremely powerful.

cheers

Alan.
Previous Topic: LMT error
Next Topic: ALERT.LOG
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:30:52 CDT 2024