Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » monitoring Oracle database
monitoring Oracle database [message #179380] Tue, 27 June 2006 04:28 Go to next message
yoann63
hi,

firt of all, i would like to say that i'm totally newbie with Oracle...

So, i had to monitor several databases, my boss want to know things like:
- state of Oracle database: opened/closed
- state of the listeneur: opened/closed
- size of file system

i work with Ciscoworks for Windows and PRTG...The version of Oracle is: 8.1.7 and it works on AIX 5.2 and 4.3

I would like to know some things:

i first thought to monitor oracle and the listeneur using the port number, so my first question is: does these prog listen on different port??? (i found that the listeneur listen on the port 1526, but i don't know for Oracle)

the second way to monitor is to uses the mibs. I downloaded the mibs and compiled them into Ciscoworks... but on the Oracle side i don't know exactly what to do.

so i made these thing o see what was the result:

I first made à 'lsnrctl" with a "status": the message is: "SNMP is on"

then i made a
"dbsnmp_start" and nothing happens or displays...

So i tried a "dbsnmp_status", it tells me that "the dbsubagent is not started"

As i have a lot of thing to monitor, i try to monitor them with these only two products (PRTG and Ciscoworks), without using OEM

Could someone help me to start to monitor Oracle

Thanks a lot

Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #179436 is a reply to message #179380] Tue, 27 June 2006 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I am not aware of those tools and monitoring the listner port makes no use here.
Becuase the listener may be up, but the database may be down/not allowing any connections.
You may want to write a simple query that connects into database and queries somehting ( Like sysdate).
Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #179447 is a reply to message #179380] Tue, 27 June 2006 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yoann63
Yes that's why we want to monitor and the listener and the database, to improve the research when there is a problem to connect on a database.

About the query i'm not sur if i can record it in the Ciscoworks windows.

But i can try...

Could you show me how could be this query ?? (because i don't know at all Oracle and sql)

Thanks a lot

Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #179449 is a reply to message #179447] Tue, 27 June 2006 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
It can be a simple sql.
Ask your DBA to create a dummy users ( with absolutely no privs to do anything except to connect to the database), query the system date. if your tools supports sql through JDBC use sql ( like the freshwater sitescope) or even call a simple shell script.
(Everything between EOF are sql*plus commands.
Use tnsservicenames to check the availablity of listner along with
oracle@mutation#cat check_database
#!/usr/bin/bash
sqlplus -s scott/tiger@tnsservice <<EOF
set heading off;
set feedback off;
select sysdate from dual;
exit;
EOF
oracle@mutation#check_database

27-JUN-06
Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #180366 is a reply to message #179380] Mon, 03 July 2006 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yoann63
Hi,

i'm afraid i cannot use a script to test the listener.

the possibilities are:
- using SNMP OIDs
- DNS request
- NT services
- TCP/IP request (using @IP + port)
The last possibility is what i use actually

i'm not an expert in Oracle, but if the listener listen on a port, does the Oracle database listen on an port too ? If this is, which port could it be ?

Thanks a lot
Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #180388 is a reply to message #180366] Mon, 03 July 2006 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
If Oracle listener is running(listening) on 1521, then Oracle database could be reached through 1521. The specific port can be anything (as defined in listener.ora. port 1521 is just a default).
You can always check for the availability of port. But that does not mean that the database is up and available.
Here mutation is my tnsservice name ( a configuration in listener.ora).
Using TNSPING , i can 'ping' the port in configured.
As you can see, tnsping is successful. Port is available.
But the database is NOT. I cannot make a database connection.
oracle@mutation#tnsping mutation

TNS Ping Utility for Solaris: Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on 03-JUL-2006 07:08:19

Copyright (c) 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mutation)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = mutation)))
OK (160 msec)
oracle@mutation#sqlplus scott/tiger@mutation

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Mon Jul 3 07:08:34 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory
Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #180405 is a reply to message #180366] Mon, 03 July 2006 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
I don't have a clue about Ciscoworks, but a Google for "ciscoworks perl" gave some hits, including a PERL API reference, so can you use Perl scripts do do some tests?

A check to see if you can log in to the Databse could be done somewhat like :

if ($db = DBI->connect("dbi:Oracle:YOUR_DATABASE","user", "passwort")) 
   { print "OK"}
else 
   { print "FAIL"}

Other than that, quering Oracie over SNMP might be an option. Haven't done that myself yet in any way, though. Maybe this is of help :

http://lbd.epfl.ch/f/teaching/courses/oracle8i/server.815/a67822/toc.htm
Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #180577 is a reply to message #180405] Tue, 04 July 2006 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imtj
I'm thinking that you through SNMP morning Oracle database.
(1)You must configure and open oracle Intelligent Agents.
(2)Configure it's SNMP variable
(3)The CiscoWorking Catch oracle database Snmp variable
Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #180782 is a reply to message #179380] Wed, 05 July 2006 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yoann63
Sorry imtj but i don't understand. Could you explain more simply ?

ThomasG, i use Ciscoworks for windows and i'm quite sur i can't use script with it.
Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #180829 is a reply to message #180782] Wed, 05 July 2006 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imtj
My english isn't good.
I try explain
(1)Configure Intelligent Agents and start it.
(2)Ciscowork catch Oracle SNMP.
Re: monitoring Oracle database [message #180839 is a reply to message #179380] Wed, 05 July 2006 08:08 Go to previous message
yoann63
Sorry,

but do you know a simple procedure to Configure Intelligent Agents ??

because i have already compile the mibs with Ciscoworks but i can't go on

Thanks
Previous Topic: db creation error
Next Topic: how to find last Import date?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:35:16 CDT 2024