Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » any troubleshooting advice??
any troubleshooting advice?? [message #170528] Thu, 04 May 2006 04:36 Go to next message
Yasir Hashmi
hi all,
I recently installed oracle 8i on my celeron processor.
It got successfully installed. My global database was orcl.
When i switched off my computer and try to log on the oracle database ,there came an error " Oracle not available". I checked in the control panel and found that the service orcl has the status "starting".Ichanged the property to manual from automatic and restart my computer and try to manually start the service but again the status came "starting" with the error message " the service did not respond in a timely fashion".
Kindly help me out with this problem and guide me with some troubleshooting advice.

Thanks and Regards
yasir hashmi
Re: any troubleshooting advice?? [message #170591 is a reply to message #170528] Thu, 04 May 2006 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
May be your oracle service has gone a zombie.
Just create a new service using Oradim.
Search the forum for 'oradim'
Re: any troubleshooting advice?? [message #170595 is a reply to message #170528] Thu, 04 May 2006 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
That i have done. I created a new database named ora from DBCA.
but the same problem occured to it also and it showed the message "staring". so i tried to start the previous service ie orcl and it got started.Though the problem is solved but still i could not understand that why such an abnormal behaviour.and if these two services too fail then i would have to make a third service . If the same process continues what would i do?
I cannot keep on adding services to it.
Why and what is the problem??
Kindly help

Thanks and Regards
yasir hashmi
Re: any troubleshooting advice?? [message #170596 is a reply to message #170595] Thu, 04 May 2006 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
It may be anything.
You have to provide more information.
And
>> I recently installed oracle 8i
Your installation is recent. But the software is NOT. It is atleast 6 years old~. It is not worth it. Why not play around 10g database?
Re: any troubleshooting advice?? [message #170600 is a reply to message #170528] Thu, 04 May 2006 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
Thanks twice for replying twice.

I have a celeron processor and 256MB of RAM. Initially i tried to install 10g but during the pre-requisite test that comes during the installation ,one check failed. The oracle required 256 MB RAM which i have but it detected 255 and recommended me to abort the installation to avoid future problems. I ignored the message and continued with the installation. After 35%, the installation could not proceed .Even after a 1/2 an hour it was 35%. As aresult i had to abort the installation and installed 8i.
Is it something wrong with my computer??

Thanks and regards
yasir hashmi
Re: any troubleshooting advice?? [message #170605 is a reply to message #170600] Thu, 04 May 2006 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Yasir Hashmi wrote on Thu, 04 May 2006 15:28

As aresult i had to abort the installation and installed 8i.
Is it something wrong with my computer??

I think you've identified the culprit yourself. I'd clean up manually all Oracle related software and reinstall 8i.

MHE
Re: any troubleshooting advice?? [message #170608 is a reply to message #170600] Thu, 04 May 2006 08:42 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Both are different issues. We need to look into errors logs and specific details. 256 is 'minimum' requirement. i would not definately stick to this ( as you need other thingies running in your PC). Seems 512 mb RAM is suggested. Another thingy is your SWAP area (virtual memory in windows?). You need atleast 2 or 3 times RAM.
Previous Topic: Statistics
Next Topic: ASM and tablespace management
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:31:06 CDT 2024