Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » No of Sessions in Oracle DB is exceeded
icon9.gif  No of Sessions in Oracle DB is exceeded [message #157784] Mon, 06 February 2006 00:45 Go to next message
nidhish
Hello All,
I am facing one problem with Oracle DB. I have a third party application which uses Oracle ODBC connection to my database. This third party application leaves lot of unclosed connection to ORACLE DB. When I check the Sessions of ORACLE DB it shows me lot of Inactive connections. What happens is when the SID reached to 170 ORACLE stops taking any more new connections to it and my other application starts failing because they are not able to establish connection with the ORACLE DB. The only way to kill this Inactive connection I know is to restart the machine on which I have installed my Oracle DB.
I need to figure our how to kills these sessions. If I run the command line utility to kill the session “Kill session ….” Its still not helping me. Can anyone of you advice me on how to solve this problem?

Please do let me know incase if u need any more information on this.

Regards,
Nidhish
Re: No of Sessions in Oracle DB is exceeded [message #157868 is a reply to message #157784] Mon, 06 February 2006 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TLegend33
Try using ORAKILL at the OS level.
Re: No of Sessions in Oracle DB is exceeded [message #158382 is a reply to message #157784] Fri, 10 February 2006 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gururajan.r

hI NIDHISH,

i too suffered from the same situation..but i have to increase the Processes parameter and to kill any seesion
use

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION 'sid,serial#';

U can get sid and serial # from v$session
Issuing the ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION command is the only safe way to kill an Oracle session. If the marked session persists for some time you may consider killing the process at the operating system level, as explained below. Killing OS processes is dangerous and can lead to instance failures, so do this at your own peril.

To kill the session via the NT operating system, first identify the session as follows:

use the below querry

SELECT s.sid,
p.spid,
s.osuser,
s.program
FROM v$process p,
v$session s
WHERE p.addr = s.paddr;

The SID and SPID values of the relevant session can then be substituted into the following command issued from the command line:

C:> orakill ORACLE_SID spid

The session thread should be killed immediately and all resources released.

However i got the above resource from web and interested to post the same , which will help u.

Kindly post ur feed back to the below mailid/forum

Regards

Gururajan R
gururajan.r@talentmaximus.com

Re: No of Sessions in Oracle DB is exceeded [message #158537 is a reply to message #157784] Mon, 13 February 2006 00:44 Go to previous message
rgopani

enable conection pooling
use sql net to close inactive session.

change the application code to close the connection.
Previous Topic: Rollback segment issue!
Next Topic: drop table in read only tablespace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:32:14 CDT 2024