Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » server upgrade - oracle changes
server upgrade - oracle changes [message #156993] Mon, 30 January 2006 09:42 Go to next message
alanm

Hi,
not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes anyway.

we are currently in the process of upgrading our IBM server. It has 4 processors and 6 gb ram. the upgrade is to 8GB of ram and 6 processors. We have an oracle instance whose SGA= 2GB.

currently the system is maxed out if you look at SAR. the oracle instance is suffering a performance hit. this upgrade is (hopefully a quick fix). what oracle parameters need changing to take advantage of this extra RAM and CPUs.

btw I am also running in parrallel to this a look at badly performing sql scripts.

regards

Alan.
Re: server upgrade - oracle changes [message #157097 is a reply to message #156993] Tue, 31 January 2006 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
contactkeval
Although its not a straight answer to your question, I recommend you to go thru following article. Its very important to address actual issue rather than looking for quick fixes.

http://www.hotsos.com/e-library/abstract.php?id=24
Re: server upgrade - oracle changes [message #157281 is a reply to message #157097] Wed, 01 February 2006 07:04 Go to previous message
alanm

Hi,
Thats a good article for questioning CPUs but what about extra RAM? If physical I/O imoved to memory by icreasing the SGA that must be good. Again can anyone suggest what oracle parameters need to change in order to get the best benefit out of the extra RAM.

regards

Alan
Previous Topic: SCN-Demo
Next Topic: Control file's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:24:46 CDT 2024