Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » database lock
database lock [message #154729] Tue, 10 January 2006 05:57 Go to next message
chandanbhamra
Hi All

I was trying to import data from one dmp file and it was getting hanged on one table. When i tried to query the same table thru sqlplus it also get hanged for a long time. This table contains 200 rows only and still it was taking too much time to return all rows ( query was simple select * from <table-name>).

When i asked dba about this and he said there was lock on database. I cannot get what he means to say there was a lock on database and if there was any lock then i should have faced the same problem with other tables also which i didn't. DBA said he removed the lock and when again i issue the same statement, it was working.

Please tell me what could be the reason for this or what kind of lock is it that prevent user from quering table information. Where i can find about this more ?

Thanks & Regards
Chandan Singh
Re: database lock [message #157637 is a reply to message #154729] Fri, 03 February 2006 10:51 Go to previous message
aciolac
What did you mean that sqlplus get hanged? Are you receive some error? are you waiting many time without any result? When you make select any lock have not any sence for you because you are not making changes. Precise please you problem.
Previous Topic: Instance Crash
Next Topic: MESSAGE FILE SP1 <LANG>.MSB NOT FOUND
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:17:33 CDT 2024