Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » create standby DB with diff directory structure
create standby DB with diff directory structure [message #149471] Thu, 01 December 2005 23:35 Go to next message
xaverianite
Hi All,
I'm new to oracle DB.
I'm creating a Standby database from my primary oracle DB.
I'm following steps by referring to "Oracle Data Guard Concepts and Administration" book.

I've created the standby controlfile from the primary DB and copied it's initSID.ora file also.
Now due to space problem, I cannot have the same directory structure in standby DB for the datafiles like I had in Primary DB.
I have modified the initSID.ora file to refer to the new location for the standby controlfile in the standby DB system. But, internally my standby DB controlfile contains the structure and location of data files like that of primary database.
If I'll be having different directory structure in the standby DB for the datafiles, how can I modify/create a standby controlfile referring to the new location for the datafiles in the standby DB?

Thank You,
Saurabh.

Re: create standby DB with diff directory structure [message #157640 is a reply to message #149471] Fri, 03 February 2006 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aciolac
You must to mount your stnadby database:
SQL>alter database mount standby database
And to change definitions of every datafile in your standby controlfole:
SQL>alter database rename file 'path_from_online_database' to 'new_path_to_file';
You must indicate absolute path.
Re: create standby DB with diff directory structure [message #157655 is a reply to message #149471] Fri, 03 February 2006 11:37 Go to previous message
smartin
I thought that, with a physical standby database, your standby needed to match exactly the structure of the primary? Pretty sure thats what I remember from creating a 10gR1 one.

Even if it isn't required, you would probably still want it to, as it is meant to be an exact copy with no changes. That is what ensures you have a complete mirror image and standby database ready to go in event of disaster. You wouldn't want to at that time be worrying about any possible differences.

If differences are even allowed. The 10g standby docs and guide book is quite good about walking you through the setup and configuration, and should indicate whether what you are asking is possible, recommended, and how to do it.
Previous Topic: remove instance
Next Topic: Permissions Issues?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:35:30 CDT 2024