Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » image size (oracle6i,windows xp)
image size [message #567558] Wed, 03 October 2012 05:29 Go to next message
hisham99
i have Archive project for hr

create table images
(ID number(Cool,
IMAGES BLOB);
i have a form that scan and save the image in database ,all the image size is A4, JPG

i have this question
1)what will be the estimated size of A4 JPG image in database,because i dont want my hard disck to be full.
2)what is the best way to decrease the size of each picture to minimum.
3)which type is beter for image blob or long raw.
4)when i try query from sql for example (select * from images)
it give me this erro ('Column or attribute type can not be displayed by SQL*Plus');
5) is theres any query i can used to know the size of image in each raw (bytes or mb,..)from my table.
thanks
Re: image size [message #567559 is a reply to message #567558] Wed, 03 October 2012 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
  1. size depends on scanning resolution (higher resolution results in a bigger file size)
  2. what do you call a "minimum"? Zero file size? 10 KB? 100 KB? I use Photo Resizer; you can pick any tool you want. For example, Faststone Image Viewer does the same, but in GUI
  3. I don't know which one is "better" (what do you call "better", anyway?). I use BLOBs.
  4. That's normal; SQL*Plus (as well as any other tool I know) can't display an image
  5. Sure there is; have a look at DBMS_LOB package and its GETLENGTH function.
Re: image size [message #567629 is a reply to message #567559] Wed, 03 October 2012 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hisham99
from your experence ,i saved one image in my table and
i used select dbms_lob.getlength
and it give me this number 7633955 (this number is only for one image)
from your point of view is it practical to save image in the database i mean is this size is acceptable i dont want after saving few image the program become slow or my table space become full
Re: image size [message #567645 is a reply to message #567629] Wed, 03 October 2012 23:57 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I keep my images in file system (i.e. I don't store them in the database). I can't tell what would be better for you; the answer might depend on number of images (dozen, hundred, thousands, ...?).
Previous Topic: JTF GRID FUNCTIONALITY
Next Topic: FRM-40209 : Field must be of form XX,XX,XXX coming several times
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 02:17:55 CDT 2024